October 14, 2015

things I love (road trips // monument valley).


finally seeing monument valley (on the UT/AZ border) up close has been on my dad's to do list for a really long while. when it was time to pick out birthday presents, we decided it was about time we checked that one off the list - and before I knew it we were off for a lauren & dad road adventure.

about 5.5 hours north from phoenix, the epic landscapes were well worth the drive. as we finally got close to kayenta, az (the nearest town), you could begin to see otherworldly rock formations popping up on the horizon. 

we opted to splurge a little (because as my dad says, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right...#dadisms) and booked a room at the EVER sold out view hotel. if you don't decide to stay there, you're looking at a night at a motel in kayenta and a 40ish minute drive to the valley floor. the view is the only hotel INSIDE the park, and while it's definitely not a luxurious establishment, you're paying for one of the best views I've ever seen. every room has an unobstructed patio facing the iconic monument valley mittens - and let's be honest, if my choices are getting up 40 minutes early to drive to the valley for sunrise or waking up, putting on my glasses and sitting on the patio in my jammies, we all know what wins. they even project old black and white john wayne westerns on the side of the hotel at night for added flair! 

we got up early and made the 2 hour loop around the valley floor, stopping to snap photos along the way. 

barely there for a full 24 hours, it was time well spent, and a trip I'd recommend to anyone who's visiting (or living!) in the southwest. nature's the coolest, isn't she? 













SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Hey...you over there! Tell me what you think!

© love.lauren | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig