October 1, 2015

things I love (apple picking)!


last weekend we celebrated my dad's birthday, and I decided it was going to be fall, mother nature be damned!

one of the great things about my family is that it typically takes about 30 seconds to convince them to participate in just about any of my crazy ideas. when I proposed a three and a half hour drive to southeastern az to check out some apple orchards - they were in (after a quick look that confirmed they think I'm out of my mind). 

so off we went down to willcox, az (a little more than three hours south of phoenix), where there's something growing out of just about every inch of available land. we ended up at apple annie's orchard. outfitted with everything from a country store to a donut stand and burger shack, it was the perfect place to spend a few hours. upon entry you're handed a map and a bucket, and sent off to venture through rows and rows of different apple varieties. we centered on fuji's and granny smith's, but there's something for everyone. 

when our arms got tired from hauling our bucket around, we hopped on farmer john's tractor and headed back to the front...where we promptly set up court at a picnic table amongst the trees with some cold apple cider and the epic apple cider donut. 

if you've got an afternoon, I definitely recommend taking a trip south. beyond apples, they've got all kinds of other seasonal fruit, a pumpkin patch AND (allegedly) the state's largest corn maze. if that doesn't sell you, I don't know what will. 









SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Hey...you over there! Tell me what you think!

© love.lauren | All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig